Jan Foster has asked me to publish the spring 2010 timetable for the hard working Friends of Hoylake and Meols In Bloom. Here’s the newsletter (note the news of new flower tubs and boat!):
It is soon going to be time to plant up the village for summer so we would like to inform you what our plans are for the year and how you can help.
We now have 15 tubs, 11 brick planters and eight barrier baskets in the town. We have 1 tub in the parade gardens and our sub groups (formed to regenerate Grove Park) have 2 tubs in the play area.
We have bought 2 large containers which will be placed near the boating lake and most exciting, West Kirby sailing club has provided us with an old 12 foot boat to plant up which will be placed near the lifeboat station.
We also care for the tree pits in the row in Hoylake.
As you can see we have a lot to do and a lot of money to raise so here is our plan of attack!
May 15th is de-planting day. We will empty all the tubs and planters. Removing winter bedding and leaving bulbs in.
May 29th is planting day. We will plant all tubs and planters with summer bedding.
After planting all helpers are welcome at Jan’s house for a social (bring some food! please let us know what you are bringing).
During the two weeks between these dates the committee will be filling the reservoirs in the containers, adding slow release fertilizer and water gel and treating for any pests. We will also receive and sort out all the plants.
June 5th is the garden party. Jan and Mike Foster will open their garden to the public to raise money for the plants.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
- Join us on de-panting day and/or planting day.
- Adopt a tub. From mid July onwards the tubs and planters will need a weekly feed with tomato food in a can of water, a bit of de-heading and weeding to keep them looking their best. Half an hour a week for one or two tubs but many hours for a few people to do them all.
- Sponsor a tub. It costs £50 per tub for summer bedding and about £25 for winter bedding. If you do not wish to pay all at once perhaps you could put £1.50 a week on one side which would pay for next year. Plaques with your name on be purchased at extra cost (see the tub near St John’s church, Meols).
- Help with filling up the reservoirs. This is the most time consuming job as there are so many to do but we only do it twice a year.
- Help with the garden party. We would like to have more plant, cake and craft stalls this year. Raffle prizes needed.
- We are hoping to plant some shrubs in the parade gardens so we will need a work party. Many hands make light work!
- As another way of raising money we open the kiosk in the parade gardens for a few hours on Sunday afternoons in the summer for light refreshments. Help is urgently needed with this.
- Get your friends and neighbours involved.
- If you like the idea of regenerating Grove Park and would like to help please contact Liz Webster on 632 0413
- Last but not least, become a member. For only £5 a year or £7 for a family you can become a member of “Friends of Hoylake and Meols in Bloom”. The subs form a large part of our income. You will receive an annual newsletter, you will not be asked to do any work unless you wish to do so. This is a way for people, who wish to see the flowers in Hoylake but do not have the time (or energy) to get involved can help.
As you imagine it takes a lot of organizing to keep Hoylake and Meols looking so good. If you can help with any of these jobs (print this if you’d like to post it):
I can/cannot help with: – De-planting May 15th
I can/Cannot help with: – Planting May 29th
I can/cannot adopt a tub
I can/cannot sponsor a tub 2010
I can/cannot sponsor a tub 2011
I can/cannot help with filling up the reservoirs
I can/cannot help with the garden party 5th June
I can/cannot join a work party
I can/cannot help in the kiosk
I/We would like to become a member
then please contact:
11 Ethelbert Lane
Phone 07725 540049 or email Jan [at] vtsdesign.co.uk
Friends Of Hoylake In Bloom is a registered charity number 1101968