If you’ve been watching the new series of Mary, Queen of Shops you’ll no doubt be interested to hear that the episode featuring Hoylake’s 3 Sisters Grocery is scheduled to be broadcast on 21st June, 9pm on BBC2. It’ll be very interesting to see Market Street and it’s locals on national TV.
Local singer-songwriter Caroline England is organising a musical fundraising event on behalf of Hoylake In Bloom on Saturday 3rd July at Vanilla Lounge. Caroline is in need of some prizes for a raffle to be held on the day …if you’re an individual or business and can offer a prize please contact Caroline at caroline [ at ] carolineengland.co.uk.
And another popular local singer, songwriter is playing in Hoylake later this month. Jimmy Rae will be playing with The Reverb Brothers (his long-standing rock’n’roll party band) at the Hoylake Sailing Club on Saturday 26th June from 8.30pm. Jimmy says it’s always a good rowdy night …in the boat shed as ever! Tickets £5 (I think) from John Chapman Insurance, Market Street, Hoylake (0151 632 1910) or the club itself. Or pay on the door. Jimmy will also be playing a solo set at Caroline England’s event too!
There are a few changes along Market Street at the moment:
- Hoylake School of Dance are to move into the old Jon David store after the premises are refitted
- Top Drawer, the ladies fashion shop is closing due to retirement
- Hoylake Sailing School is temporarily located in the old Cut Above barbers
- The old auction house at The Quadrant is to be redeveloped into offices and hoardings were put up over the last few days
- Captain Tony’s pizza takeaway is being replaced with another take-away food outlet.
There is a section of railings missing toward the Kings Gap end of the promenade. I’ve no idea if that’s due to general wear and tear?
The flower boat (as I call it), maintained by the Hoylake In Bloom team and located by the lifeboat station has had a rather colourful makeover. I’ll publish a photo in due course – the snap I took today evidently went a bit wonky!
What’s your Hoylake news? As always feel free to leave a comment or get in touch.